Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Butt Fruit and Broken Teeth






Our trip to New York was a trip. It was so much fun and so tiring at the same time. There was just no way to be able to do all the things we wanted to do while we were there, so we decided to savor every minute of what we did. First we got there around four in the afternoon on Firday and the first thing we did was go to the park in Washington Square. Bennett had a chance to size up the New York kids. They were for the most part just like any other kids we've met. We then had a feast of Chinese food from my favorite place, Sammys Noodle House. It was a place I haunted at least once a week when I lived in NYC.

Bob and Jim were the ultimate gentlemen and gave up their bed for us, so in the morning while they slept on the couches, we snuck out to the park and to get coffee to give them time to sleep in. Bennett played with the other kids and we sat with the other tired-eyed parents while pretending to be New Yorkers. We got back to the (incredibly beautiful) apartment just time for me to break my tooth on a piece of leftover scallion pancake.  After that bummer, we all piled into a cab and took the Staten Island Ferry so Bennett could see the Statue of Liberty - the green lady. It was a beautiful day and we rode on the outside deck on the way back. After the Ferry, we went to DiPalo's. Pat and Bennett went out for ice cream while Bob, Jim and I had a cheese, olive oil and balsamic vinegar tasting. It was awesome. Then we went to China Town where Pat bought a Durian. It's a giant brown spiky fruit and there was a woman there who was sort of butchering them. Pat bought one and Bob said it tasted like the smell of butt. It sort of did. But Pat likes it, and is at this minute waiting for some to thaw out so she can have some. It's a little stinky in here.

We all met Jessica at this crazy Indian restaurant on 1st Ave that B&J&I have been going to since grad school. They have so many layers of holiday decorations that you literally cannot stand up straight, but the food is excellent and Bennett was taken by party atmosphere.  I will have more pictures tomorrow when I figure out how to get them off Jim's Facebook page.

After B went to bed we had a buffet of cordials and ice creams. It was total heaven. I couldn't love Bob and Jim more. At least I don't think so, and then I do. It was a wonderful, wonderful weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, at first I thought "Butt Fruit and Broken Teeth" were your new nicknames for Bob and me.

    We loved every minute of your visit here. And for the record, we also got totally wiped out from it! I slept more soundly last night than I have in weeks...maybe even months.

    We love Pat and Bennett! And of course we love you! You are welcome back here as often as you wish.

    ReplyDelete