Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pickled Carrots and Me


Here I am with the two out of three quarts of pickled carrots from this morning. I started out with four quarts, but one broke while canning. It was such a shame. Anyway these carrots are pickling in hot pepper, garlic and oregano. It was very satisfying to pick the oregano from my garden, all the rest of the ingredients came from our farm share. They will be ready to eat in a week or two. They are really for Pat, even though I think they are delicious. I think my sister Mary has made these. I know everyone in my family has made my recipe for TX Xmas pickles. They are also really great. I am thinking about making some tomato chile jam. I have a lot of tomatoes from the farm and I have already frozen two gallons of chopped toms. Eating seasonally has it's advantages and disadvantages. One that may qualify as both is the glut of tomatoes. The first week we get them, we gobble them. By the third weeks, it's like what are we going to do with 16 tomatoes?

I feel great. There is no other way to say it. I am so grateful to feel this way, the weather is beautiful and I am having a blast hanging out with Bennett. Pat has been teaching this week, so is not home until evening. I am still a little shaky, but it's okay. It's good for me to remember that I can bring B to the club on my own and not fall apart. I am not a big faller-aparter, but I worry about it. 

The other thing I did today was go to the grocery store. I forgot milk at Trader Joe's, so I had to go. I rarely go to the supermarket in the summer. It's so full of junk and crap I sort of forgot. Well, the farm is not going to last forever, so it will be back to Stop and Shop soon enough.

I have reflexology tomorrow, and I have to get gas. That's all that is planned. I'll post about what I do, which is what I do.

One of my favorite canning bloggers quit her blog. Her mother died of cancer (of course!) and she realized that she had been living in a mindset where all her actions we dictated by whether something was blog-worthy or not. So she not blogging so she can get her brain back. I don't do that, but sometimes something strikes me and I think I should post it. Today it was a little girl character on Mad Men. She said that she is not afraid of dying, it's the forever part of it that scares her. Amen.





2 comments:

  1. I'll tell you what I'm doing with umpteen tomatoes -- eating about 12 tomato sandwiches a day! I hope today you get gas and don't have gas; if you do, the reflexology will take care of it. I like enjoying every day with you!
    Love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are having a good week.The carrots look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete