Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thank God for Snow

I mean it. I got another week without chemo and I am feeling good. I got my hair cut.

I look like I might be in a the military, but at least it's not figgely anymore. I don't have any bald spots because it's been about 8 weeks since chemo and my hair is growing back. So, at least for now, I can go without a hat and maybe my massive case of dandruff will subside. I swear it's a side effect from chemo. Pat suspects it's from wearing a hat all the time. I don't know. The lady at the salon was really nice about it and sold me some fancy shampoo and told me she bets when I really get my hair back that it will be curly. Something to look forward to - I've never had curly hair before. Oh, except the ill-advised perm I got in 1980. You will not see any photos of that posted here.

Today I had a very good day. Took B to school, acupuncture, went shopping for P's birthday present. Her birthday is on Monday - just so you know. And then I went to pick B up from school and took her to Barnes and Noble. Needless to say I am about to collapse from exhaustion in the best way. I feel tired from being alive and living. That is such a good thing.

Today I felt for the first time in a long time that I have a future. It was such a good feeling. I started a grocery shopping list. It has been months since I did that. It's really a turning point for me that I feel like I am going to be around long enough to eat a jar of mayo or peanut butter. Before, other than I couldn't eat anything, I also felt like such a lost cause. Again, I am counting on all of you to remind me that I am not, repeat not, a lost cause. On that note, I might just buy some pants that fit. All of my pants are huge on me and I thought it would be a waste of money to buy new pants. What was a I thinking?

4 comments:

  1. Nothing makes one feel better than a good haircut and a well-fitting pair of pants! Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair cut! You look great with a buzz cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, here is your personal message from Bernie Siegel: “You are not a statistic and you can work at achieving your potential and outliving expectations.”

    Sounds good to me!

    P.S. Get a new pair of pants that fit-- a kind you really like and want. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of us over a certain age had at least one ill-advised perm in the 80's. I'm ashamed to admit I had several. Thanks for the walk down memory lane and Thanks for the reminder of P's birthday. Have fun shopping for those pants!

    ReplyDelete