Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Beast's Valentine

This morning Bennett ran into her classroom like her head was on fire and yelled to anyone who would listen "happy Valamtimes Day" then she opened her bag of valentines and just started to give them out. She wanted so bad for me to find the one in her bag that was for herself. That is when she finally calmed down, with the disappointment that she did not make herself a valentine. Little does she know there is one in the bag for her from me and one from Pat. She will get them tomorrow. They are having a week of valentines at school. But no candy allowed, so as to respect the families that do not allow their kids to eat candy. Those poor kids. You know what's going to happen in college. I don't even have to tell you.

I woke up this morning to a huge chocolate heart (we are very casual about V day in our family) waiting for me. I will eat it tonight. As I cannot rightfully eat one more thing right now- I just about picked a roasted chicken clean for dinner tonight. It has been so long since I've had roasted chicken, it was like food from heaven. We also had a selection of Bob and Jim cheeses, some edamame and biscuits. I still don't have a great grasp on feeling full. I don't know why. Since the surgery I have a hard time telling when I am full and when I need to pee. It's like I just look at the clock and say, hmmm it's been a few hours since I peed, I think I will go. I told the docs and they were very puzzled since they didn't mess with my bladder while they were in there messing with my other organs.

I don't know if I wrote about this but the surgeon actually took my liver out from where it lives to look at the whole thing, count the tumors (10 - some very small) and then put it back. It's sort of interesting to talk to someone who has had the thought, hey this surgery is going so well, and we have a little extra time, let's palpitate her liver and then put it back. I wonder what it is like from his perspective.

That's about all I have for today. I tried to take it easy because of my cold. I am trying to let my body just take care of it. So far so good. I do have antibiotics if I need them and will be happy to take them if I need to. I decided to watch some movies to help me take it easy - warning Sleepless in Seattle is not a really a romantic comedy, it is really about a man with a young son grieving the loss of his wife. Of course she died from cancer. I watched about 20 minutes and had to turn it off and have a good cry. I watched a spy thriller instead. No tears this time, just lots of bullets.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes movies are too real! Like, in the last two months I saw way too many movies about middle-age men stuck in jobs, losing their jobs, or trying to find jobs. You will be able to watch Sleepless in Seattle at another time in the future, I’ll bet.

    Because of the V-Day theme at the start of your post, I couldn't help imaging the surgeon reaching in, pulling out your liver and it saying "Be Mine" on it. And your bladder that they didn’t touch, saying "Too Cute." Sorry, that's what went through my mind.

    Enjoy the rest of V-Week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that movie thing is weird. I was watching Evita (which I'd seen long before cancer entered our lives) on TV and when it got to the part where she was sick, I turned to Tim and said, "I don't know if i can watch this." I know how it ends. I completely avoid movies where I know the story is about someone dying of cancer (Terms of Endearment...the worst!). And I recently learned that I can't watch Dirty Dancing without bawling my eyes out over Patrick Swayze. I assume it gets better with time. For now, I focus on more escapist movies. Lots of Bourne and Ocean's Eleven and French romantic comedies and nothing real at all.

    I love your story about your doc examining your liver. It's very interesting to think about having a job like that. It's very different from my job!

    Be well.

    Peace,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bizzare and funny. It is s weird thinking that our organs still function outside of us and that they go back inside so nicely (well, you know what I mean). I had images of the old Operation game swimming around in my head. I wonder if the doctors could take all the parts out and put them back in different places...would they still happily work? and wouldn't it be interesting for the next doctor who came along expecting normal placement only to see something completely different? teehee... That would be an awsome April fools joke for one surgeon to play on another don't you think? Hugs and Love, Karen B

    ReplyDelete