Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bionic Chemo Eyes

Another thing that I forgot about chemo is for about two or three hours after chemo my eyes goes back to about 20/20. I can see everything far and near and when I put my glasses on everything looks blurry and fuzzy. It's very odd and sort of cool. I don't question it, I just take my glasses off for those hours and enjoy.

I got the big drugs today. I also got the green light to go to NYC. I described NYC as he germiest city in the US and Dr B just looked at me and said "you haven't been very many places, have you?" Now, you may or may not know, Dr B is either Indian or Pakistani (I am sure I should know, but I don't) so I thought he would say "you should see Bangladesh." But he didn't, he mentioned Detroit and Philly as the dirtiest cities he could think of.  I guess I would not have gotten permission to go to those cities.

He also put the kibosh on any dental work. My dentist wants to give me a bridge for the tooth that broke. He said no - that dental work is not even on the table as a possibility right now unless I am in terrible pain. Okay, I really hope it doesn't get to that point, and I hope that I can get my teeth cleaned at some point (I should have thought of that when I was on break for surgery, damn.) When I said well you just saved me a a couple of thousand dollars, he said "well now you may absolutely NOT get dental work." It was a turning point, Dr. B. made a joke. It was great.

I got the new drug. It all went in in 10 minutes. I don't expect to feel anything different - Avastin is not known for its side effects - just two that Dr. B mentioned. He told me to get to the closest hospital ASAP if I feel severe pain in my abdomen (may be a perforation - only a 2% chance). He also told me the with my "perfect blood pressure"or he might have said stellar - Aunt Ruth, who was with me, would remember the exact words, he is not worried about the Avastin giving me higher blood pressure.

Now I am home and have to meowing pump. I am totally happy to have a trip to NYC on the horizon. Hopefully it will work out. I just look forward to the moment ahead.

4 comments:

  1. A trip to NYC sounds like just what the doctor ordered (?!)

    Can you tell Pat that John downloaded Cat Physics on Saturday, then finished all the levels yesterday. He's starting again with the goal of getting a higher score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sounds so good Ruth.So glad you got the green light to head to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philly isn't as dirty now as it was 25 years ago in my opinion. However, there are definitely some interesting folks on the streets. I met "Micheal Jackson" last year, he was signing and dancing... I loved it. Anyway, I am happy for you to be able to get to go to NYC! Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy your doctor gave you the green light for NYC, and you were able to help crazy Bob work out the correct dates! I can't wait to have you three as our guests! We will try to make our home as much of a germ-free oasis as possible. And we'll stock up on the cheeses!

    ReplyDelete