Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My First Class

I had my first stained glass class today. It was great. I have five students, three of whom have already taken the class and know what to do. No one brought a design, so we spent the morning talking about designs and practicing cutting glass. Then it really started to snow. They were predicting anywhere from 4-8 inches, so I started to get nervous. I do not like driving in the snow one bit. Pat and I went off the road once and I never really recovered from that. Anyway, we really couldn't do anything else without the designs, so I ended class early. I drove home in the snow and when I got home it was raining. It's been sleeting, raining and hailing off and on all day. Now it's just icy out there.

I was right about one thing, that class really tired me out. Pat took B to a puppet show and I dozed for two hours. It felt great. It felt great to be in a class and just be normal. Not cancer person, not getting some kind of treatment, but there for a part of my mind that I don't use enough anymore. I have got to get back to work. Oh, yeah, I have been recovering. Sometimes I wonder what happened to January.

Bennett has been very interested in looking at my scar lately. It's a very thin red line about 10 inches long with a dots running down either side (from the staples). She doesn't believe that I am recovered from the surgery because the line is still there. It's so hard to explain. I thought the moment I picked her up, she would get some kind of closure of satisfaction, but she is too smart for that. She sometimes pats my hand and looks me in the eye and says "you are still recovering, it's okay mom-o, I got you." It just about breaks my heart with joy and sadness. Sadness because no kid should have to visit their parent in the hospital three times within the past six months. Joy because she is so compassionate and loving. Now I know why people sometimes name their kid Joy. I always thought it was kind of lame, but now I totally get it. Or Sunshine, or Faith, or You Are the Best Thing in the World, Ever. That is Bennett's real name...

2 comments:

  1. Great kid...great moms! I am amazed and not amazed all at the same time. Of course you two would raise a smart, compassionate, loving, deeply feeling kid. Your posts about Bennett break my heart and also tell me that everything is exactly as it should be between you, and I get a taste of the joy and sadness myself.

    BTW, Good thing I'm not in your class. I would've brought a design and worn you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The B story is so wonderful. Love,joy and compassion. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete