Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

No More 'Mo

At least for the time being. The Oxaliplatin stopped working and so I am off chemo until Dr B can find a clinical trial for me. That should be within the next couple of weeks and until then, I am free. That's what it feels like- that I am free from traveling to Worcester, free from feeling like crap for days on end, alas not free from cancer.

What happened is the obvious tumor in my belly (the one I can feel) got much smaller, while the tumors in my lungs stayed the same and the tumors in my liver grew considerably. Enough to let Dr. B know that the drugs were not effective. Who knew that cancer grows in each organ differently? I sure didn't. That is why I was so positive that it was working, because the tumor that I can feel is tiny (instead of the size of a golf ball-ish).

So we will work as hard as we can to get a clinical trial, and Dr B was uncharacteristically positive about my chances of succeeding in the trials. He also said that I am no where near dying, and it was nice to hear that from a professional. I still feel scared and liking bawling my head off and stamping my feet. I think I will - a little later.

We are going to England for the holidays thanks to Mary's (solicited) invitation and my mother's generosity. I am worried about the trip to St lucia in Feb. I hope that the trial doesn't get in the way. It's nice to worry about something other than cancer. I can't wait to see Nancy tomorrow to get a new perspective. A warrior perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ruth,

    Again, I am so sorry to hear about this, but very glad to hear that Dr. B feels positive about the clinical trials. You can get some really cutting-edge treatment there and Dana Farber is one of the top five cancer centers in the nation.

    So glad you are going to have an English Christmas. My work is winding down a bit, so I hope we can connect this week. I also hope Nancy gives you a big dose of warrior energy tomorrow.

    Love-Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ruth, Bob really appreciated talking to you today, even though the news was iffy, troubling.

    You've got our prayers and thoughts for safe travel and a new clinical trial to work miracles.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete