Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I'm Radioactive

Okay, this is how a PET scan works, or how it seems to work from my point of view. The 36 hours before that scan you are not supposed to run or walk anywhere and take it was easy as possible. This is so your muscles are all at the same point of tiredness? I don't really know, what I do know is it makes it so the stuff they inject is evenly absorbed into my muscles. So I took it easy yesterday, as you know, and didn't do anything more strenuous that going to acupuncture today, so I think I was good. I got there and they didn't make me wait too long.

Another thing that is important to know is the PET scanner is in the back of a giant truck. Three hospitals use it, so they just drive it from place to place as needed. So there is this giant truck parked in a giant (and very clean and well appointed) garage. So they call me to the truck and put me in this tiny room with one chair and a lot of metal. They checked my blood sugar to make sure it wasn't over 180 (I don't know why they do this), and mine was 70. Then they opened a metal box, took some tongs to remove the syringe from the metal box and took the filled syringe behind a very thick wall of glass, where they then popped the syringe into a thick metal casing. The metal casing is to protect the staff from the radioactive material in the shot.

Then the shot goes into my wrist because they couldn't find a vein in my arm. It doesn't feel like anything so bad as radiation, but I am not allowed to hold Bennett until tomorrow. She has come up to pet me few times, and it's heartbreaking to not be able to be with her. I am not allowed to be around her because she is still developing and the radiation might effect her development. How freaking scary is that?

If that's not enough, after the shot I had to stay still for an hour so the stuff could adsorb into my muscles evenly - I wasn't even allowed to talk so the stuff would not pool into my jaw area. I quietly read a People magazine and closed my eyes for a few minutes. Then they took me into a room with a giant tube in it. That's were I spent the next 25 minutes. Last time I was so claustrophobic that I was crying, this time I fell asleep. I had a bet with myself - how relaxed could I be while in the tube?

So now I am home and have a headache and a little nauseous. I am tired and want to go to bed but Bennett needs attending (by Pat) in our bedroom. I will wait a little while and then crash out.

Nothing on for tomorrow except some Christmas shopping. That seems good.

2 comments:

  1. You're a radioactive warrior! Glad the PET scan is over. Wishing you a good night's sleep.
    -Beryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that that is over - now you can concentrate of getting ready for Christmas, which will be awesome. But not as awesome as being able to cuddle Miss B today.

    Love you lots. M

    ReplyDelete