Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Posting with Pumpkin Custard

When I was little, my favorite dessert was my mom's famous pumpkin custard. When I didn't live with her anymore, I would pine over the pumpkin custard and wish I could make it. So about 10 years ago I called my mom and she told me it was the recipe on the back of the Libby's can. And if I wanted to make it fancy I could add a few tablespoons of brandy. Mystery revealed. Then a few years ago I decided to make it for Pat. She loves it, and most of the fall and winter we have a batch in the fridge. Today must be the first day of our fall season because I made a batch and it is so good. Even B likes it with a little cream on top, of course. She calls it pumpkin pie. Which is what I call her for a nickname, so it's been a fine fine evening.

I had a good day. And I have to say a little hallelujah for that. I took B to school, Pat and I went on a shopping adventure to Trader Joe's and then just hung out reading and loafing around until it was time to pick up B. I got her and she really wanted the teriaki chicken we get from the Chinese restaurant near our house. So we stopped, she gobbled and I decided it was time to cook. I made dinner for the second night in a row, what a pleasure. Last night I made goat stew (goat is my favorite meat, up there with pork, yum). And I got to have a really great conversation with Jessica - almost the entire time talking about what to name the little Ruthies. They will always be the little Ruthies in my heart, but the world will know them by different names.

That's about it. I gave myself a big pep talk this morning, reminding myself that I have an entire week until chemo and I am going to take advantage of it. Just like I did today.

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday we had soup, cheese scones and a fire in the fireplace - autumn started at the same time across the Atlantic!

    So glad to hear that you had a good day. Here's to many more...

    Love, M Xx

    ReplyDelete