Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Monday, June 6, 2011

Happy to be Home

It's nice to be home. It's nice to see my stuff, notice what happened to my garden, get to the farm and sit on my own pot. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time. A really great time. The castles, the beach, the wonderful English people. My sister and her family are awesome and it was a trip of a life time.

Today B&P woke up at some ungodly hour, I got to sleep in. And the day was gorgeous. We all went to Home Depot to get trim for the second bathroom, which we hope will done by my brother's visit. I just emailed the plumbers to get them here next week. Cross your fingers.

Flying in a plane gave me a lot of time to think about the idea of time passing. I think that listening to my sister's enthusiasm for our family tress also triggered something. I have this idea that is not all that original, but is sort of an epiphany for me. Time passes and that's all that happens. Someone is born, a bunch of things happen, they die. If they are lucky, someone will take the time to remember who they are after they are gone. The plane ride starts, you get a bunch of weird food that no one really likes but everyone eats, the plane lands. Everything is different. I got cancer, I don't have any idea how long I will live, and that is what happened. Everything is different. But I still get the moments of playing cross word puzzles with my nephew, watching my niece and her friends run down sand dunes and my almost four-year old daughter follow and chance them - and run down the dune too. All the moments that make up a life, there is no way to stop time to make my life last longer. But why would I, I mean, I love to see and be in all the life around me.

3 comments:

  1. from my point of view it is the love and times shared with people that create a legacy of love to be passed on beyond what we can touch in this world... as I say to my friends there is never enough time on this earth, but we will have it in heaven... sending love and positive thoughts until I can see you all very soon... 4 days left in this school year... so be on Tanta Alert.. will be traveling your way as soon as I sort myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very beautiful Ruth. Thank you for putting your thoughts into elegant words. I appreciate it. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the words of James Taylor (in the song I claim as "my song"):

    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time
    Any fool can do it
    There ain't nothing to it
    Nobody knows how we got to
    The top of the hill
    But since we're on our way down
    We might as well enjoy the ride

    The secret of love is in opening up your heart
    It's okay to feel afraid
    But don't let that stand in your way
    'cause anyone knows that love is the only road
    And since we're only here for a while
    Might as well show some style
    Give us a smile
    [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/j/james_taylor/secret_o_life.html ]
    Isn't it a lovely ride
    Sliding down
    Gliding down
    Try not to try too hard
    It's just a lovely ride

    Now the thing about time is that time
    Isn't really real
    It's just your point of view
    How does it feel for you
    Einstein said he could never understand it all
    Planets spinning through space
    The smile upon your face
    Welcome to the human race

    Some kind of lovely ride
    I'll be sliding down
    I'll be gliding down
    Try not to try too hard
    It's just a lovely ride

    Isn't it a lovely ride
    Sliding down
    Gliding down
    Try not to try too hard
    It's just a lovely ride

    Now the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.

    ReplyDelete