Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cancer be Gone

I am sitting on the couch and Bennett is shouting for Daddy - I am not sure who she thinks is coming. It's a pretty weird thing to hear, she knows that she has a donor and no father, but I think the concept of a Daddy is different. All the dads in the shows she watches are sort of safety cuddle good guys. Maybe that's what she wants. Pat is going in to help. She's a pretty good guy. Update: Pat came out to tell me that B told her that mom-o is Dad and that she will always be Mama. Look everyone, I am a Dad.

Tomorrow is Bennett's birthday party. Pray for sun, thank you very much.

I live a really good life. Cancer and all. Today I was reminded not to give someone (myself) who has colon cancer beets. Scared the crap out of me when I pooped. No pun intended. Dr. B. is always asking me if there is ever blood in the pot and that makes me worried that that will be the final symptom - or a symptom of something very bad. So beets. not a good idea.

I made a half-gallon of refrigerator pickles out of the garlic scapes i wrote about last night. We had sesame glazed bok choy with dinner. Tomorrow night I am going to make kohlrobi with seeds. I love the farm, really makes me have to think of ways to use veggies I would not normally buy. Maybe I should turn this into a food blog while I am feeling so well.

I do have chemo next week. That sort of sucks. I am still watching Grey's Anatomy. I started on season 1 and am working my way through the entire series. It's very addicting. Right now one of the main characters (Izzy) has stage four melanoma. I have to say it's fake fake fake. She still has eyebrows and lashes, she gets all her chemo in the hospital and stays over night. The staff is incredibly attentive and her heart fails pretty regularly. All fake. In reality, it's just schlepping to the cancer center, where people are nice but are not over friendly, and never mind they just don't have the time to sit and shoot the shit with me- they are so busy with the 50 other chairs filled with cancer filled people. It's really my fault to think that anything on TV, let alone a hospital show, is depicted as it happens in real life. Maybe that's why I like it - someone with stage four cancer is cured of all her tumors just like that. Cancer be gone, I say, cancer be gone.

2 comments:

  1. Have a fun party tomorrow! Tell Bennett we miss her and wh we could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a professor at UCSB told us that half of us would be screwed up because we grew up watching the Brady Bunch and therefore our own childhood experiences would be found wanting when compared to the tv version of family life.

    When you mentioned the garlic scapes you inspired me to pickle some garlic and make some more elderflower champagne (3/4 the sugar, twice the lemon juice). You are inspiring no matter what you write about.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete