Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Posting with Power

Yep, the lights are back on, the heat is up, the dishwasher is running and the freezer is empty. We had to throw out 90% of the contents of the freezer. Luckily I called our insurance agent before we cleaned  it out and we are able to claim up to $500 in losses. That should just about cover it - we lost lots from the fridge too.

We are all relieved. Bennett is, right now, having a huge tantrum about wanting something. I can't even remember what, but I believe she is really getting all the stress out from the last four nights. It was weird for all of us to be in the dark, constantly cold and not really knowing what to do. Pat did a heck of a job getting us as warm as possible, she made us good food from the fridge so we didn't lose as much as we could have, she heated water on the camp stove to keep the kitchen clean. Amazing really.

Thank God that adventure is over. I tried to be a good sport, but I felt like what else could possibly befall me? I suppose I should be grateful that it wasn't a chemo week and that we got power back. There are still 1000s without it. When I called our power company to find out when we might expect the power back on, they said people on oxygen and babies with feeding tubes were the priority. That put me pretty much back in my place and thanking God I didn't have either.

So today was a good day. We got power back, I got acupuncture and Nancy helped me remember that I am living and that my being as tired as I am, is exactly how tired I am supposed to be. I had been talking to myself that being tired all the time was the new sign of dying. She reminded me that I am often looking for signs of dying, but that until I draw my last breath I am living. And that is a very good thing. She also talked to me about the good in being tired, the pleasure of a good nap, the nature of a good slow conversation, that I can take the time to be truly intimate with people because I am not all pepped up and doing too many things is one day. What a miracle to have that reassurance.

I also got to have a nice long talk with Jessica, who is keeping those little Ruthies safe and sound. I heard from Ruth, who is always great to hear from and just generally had a nice day. Tomorrow my plan to tackle the five doors we have that do not close. Pat is going to be dealing with the guy who is refinishing out bathtub. Today she took down all the rotten tile and wood so she can put up new wall and a tub surround. We are also getting a new toilet. Yay. Our current one is huge and certainly nowhere near a low-flow. Again, it's all Pat.

It's nice to be back. I miss the candlelight a little bit. But I am so happy to be warm.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you lost all of your foix gras and lobster!

    M Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really is a miracle to have power again...it is difficult to entertain oneself these days when the flu hits and all powered toys go black.

    we are thinking of you three from up the hill in orange.

    pat, your email address, please?

    xo

    ReplyDelete