Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Friday, October 15, 2010

Quick Post - 30 Minutes or Less

I don't have a ton of time. I have exactly 30 minutes before I need to wake Pat up so we can have our after-Benett-goes-to-sleep time together. And tonight is especially important because Pat is leaving tomorrow for the weekend. She is going to her mom's memorial service in Western NY. In all the hullaballo surrounding me, Pat hasn't gotten the attention she deserves and it makes me really sad. Betty was a fine lady who lived a good and full life and I am glad I knew her.  I will be bold and ask that you all pray in any way you do for a safe trip for Pat - and Betty too, while we're at it.

I had a particularly nice day today. It was rainy and B and I stayed in. We did a lot of nothing much. Just painted, read books, looked for more free children's eBooks (any ideas? I am coming up with a bunch of junk.). Bennett wanted her nails painted - a request out of the blue. Luckily we had green and red nail polish. Now B's toes are green and three of her fingers are red. The red nail polish actually washed off in the bath. I've never seen such a thing, usually it takes years to wear off. We napped and generally had a great time.

I think my super sad night last night helped me connect with B better today. I thought it might be the opposite - make me want to be less close because of my fear of loss. Yay for me, I didn't push her away. It was a lovely day.

My dear friends Ruth and Theo have colds, so are not allowed to come by this weekend. I will miss them while they take good care of themselves. We are all going to miss their usual visit- especially with Pat gone. Luckily I just set up a Skype account and know how to call Ruth. Let me know if you want me account name and we can Skype together.

I don't have much else to report. I ordered my annual pair of birthday shoes from my mom about a month late. They came less than 24 hours later. How do they do that? Why doesn't Holyoke have a Internet grocery service? My sister who lives in England, in what Google maps makes look like the middle of nowhere, has it. This area seems like just the right neighborhood for grocery delivery and a Trader Joe's in the Holyoke mall, maybe next to Barnes and Noble, while we are thinking wishfully.

I am sick of my own sad cooking. Not being allowed to touch fruits and veg make it hard to come up with tasty food from scratch - actually impossible. Anyone out there want to make some smooth, high calorie soup for me? It just has to be smooth and tasty.

This seems like a post where I want people to do things for me. Pray for Pat, deliver my groceries, bring me new shoes, make me soup. Odd when I usually am so independent. Things have really changed in the past few months. I would have never asked anyone to do anything for me - but now it's really the only way I can thrive/survive. What would I do without Theo's beef broth? What would I do without R&T getting our farm share for us every week - not that I can touch any of it, but still. What would I do without Liz and Julie at the ready to take Bennett? There are so many to be grateful to, I can't list them. Thank you all. Really, that's all I can say. Three minutes to spare.

2 comments:

  1. Ruth, soup is on the way!! I made that sweet potato chowder tonight and can deliver some tomorrow. It's not completely smooth, but it is definitely packed with calories, what with four cups of cheese and a cup of heavy cream. you can just puree it-- my blender bit the dust. It's tastier than the potato leek soup I made last time.

    Have to work most of the day tomorrow (it's been a crazy week of work), but will swing by on my way to Amherst.

    By the way, maybe you should start posting meal requests and stuff on the Lotsa Helping Hands calendar page. I bet lots of folks want to help, but might need some guidance on what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, I'm not a good cook, but I can actually make soup! I have a carrot ginger soup receipe I really like alot. It has coconut milk in it which I think is packed with calories. I'll make some and bring it to work to send home with Pat. Our thoughts are with Pat this weekend and always with you.
    Karen T

    ReplyDelete