Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Friday, October 8, 2010

Great Story

Pat just got home from work with a great story of a friend's father who had stage-four colon cancer six years ago and is doing fine. That makes me feel great. Hopeful. Really really hopeful. The doctor who diagnosed me told me he had a patient who was diagnosed later than I, and that was 10 years ago. I hold that close to my heart. Every once and awhile I wonder if he was just trying to make me feel better, but why would he? He had no reason to lie. I will think the best and believe my goal of seeing Bennett graduate from high school is a realistic one. That was my secret goal, but now you all know and you will all help me get there - and beyond.

I had a good day today. Another pain free one. Maybe, at this point, I can just report when I have pain. Or why not, I like to say that it was a pain free day. It makes all the water drinking, soup slurping and yogurt eating worth it. I can tell you that this food lover is still struggling with the limitations. That's okay, I have really grown fond of peanut butter from the spoon and cream in everything. I almost can't wait to see what my weight is next week - just to see if this Ensure/cream regimen is working.

Bennett and I spent most of the day at home. I should clarify - I spent the entire day at home, Bennett had an afternoon at the farm with Aunties Ruth and Theo. They all looked like they had a blast when they came home. I really miss going to the farm - all that dirt and bacteria is not good for me. Next year, I tell myself, I will be able to not only go to the farm, but I will be able to touch the veggies and eat them. That will be a good time.

I can see the difference in B since she started her new school. She doesn't really care as much for TV and wants book after book. We must have spent three hours reading books and finding ebooks to download and read. I know they've been working on maps at school and today she brought me a book with a picture of a globe on it and said "where do we live?" It was really cool. I am so happy she is so happy at her school. Because I am a worrier, I am now worried that we have to find her an elementary school that will be just as stimulating. Yikes!

It's pretty nice to worry about something else other than my health. I am praying that chemo goes okay next week, that every chemo treatment is one step closer to surgery which I am psyched about and dreading at the same time. I don't know when it will be, but it's in my mind. Oh, my mind, so many things stewing. But that is another post. Tomorrow, more hats, more rants, more calls for prayers and light. See you then.

2 comments:

  1. little girls, OH my...I remember being pregnant with Katie (my daughter) and dreaming about how it would be when she could crawl and coo. Ops she's about to turn 21. I rememer the school worries. I spent so much time there... I was the PTA art coordinator. Your going to have to join the PTA Ruth. You get to be the cool mom and volunteer to do all kinds of fun school stuff. You can sneak in to the lunch room and eat crapy public school lunch with Bennett. Watch out the cookies though,they always smell better than they taste! I look forward to those blogs. LOVE and LIGHT. Karen Bouchard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the sweetest thing today ever! I was with our friend's 5 year old twins at Paradise City (I'm sure you met them at Look Park one day), anyway, they were watching the wheel throwing demo and Grey put her arm around Garret's shoulder and he hooked his hand through the loop on her carpenter Jeans. They stood there like that for 10 minutes or more. Occasionally whispering in each others ear. Just together-connecting-peaceful. The purest love I have seen. I soaked it in. I send the energy of that innocent, peaceful, pure love your way. It felt healing.
    Karen T

    ReplyDelete