Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Blank Mind

It's uncanny how today my mind had been utterly blank. Not one bit of inspiration or idea to be had. I can't even muster a scary scenario. Oh, maybe I could do that if I really tried. It's as if all of what has happened in the past week has gone underground and has left me with nothing.

Today I did very little. Took a shower, played with B, folded the laundry and napped. That's the sum total of the gift of today. My friend Ruth assures me that my mind is working things out at a very deep level. That's a pretty nice way to let me off the hook for being either total spaced out, in denial or disengaged - or all three. I will take it, though, because I try so hard to stay present and real that sometimes I just need a day of blankness. Of course the fear is I will be blank forever.

I did fall asleep to the thoughts of working on my stained glass project. That could be seen as a good sign. Or maybe I should just stop questioning and let myself be. Alright.

I feel a little weak and tired today, like I don't really have the energy to do much. It's hard because I don't want to use too many calories to, say, take a walk. What if not taking a walk means I am giving in to being weak? It's such a hard balance. I have to remind myself that I am one day post chemo and that it is normal to feel kicked to the curb. Maybe this entire post has been a way to make myself feel like the way that I am feeling is not just normal but okay.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but wonder what is "normal" and "okay" for someone battling cancer. Maybe "to be expected" or "understandable" or "nothing to beat yourself up over," but I think it's acceptable for you to feel that some of the things you're dealing with aren't normal or okay, but actually frustrating or crappy things that your healing body and mind require for the process.

    I like what your friend Ruth had to say about your mind "working things out at a very deep level." It relates well to the fallow periods of any process, including the creative processes you're familiar with, and probably with healing as well.

    ReplyDelete