Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Mind Full, Body Blank

What a shift today. I woke up fully aware this morning, but so tired. Tired is not even in the same league as how I felt. Exhausted, fatigued? None of it is right. I heard the voice of Sue the chemo nurse, don't spend all day in bed. So I got up and walked the dog. My ears were blown and that makes me feel like I can't really see or hear, so that was pretty uncomfortable. Plus, the walk was brief. I got home and played with B for about an hour and had to take a two hour nap. Pat took B to Aunt Julie's while I continued to spend the day in bed. Mostly giving myself a hard time for being in bed. I wrenched myself out for about 30 minutes, which I spent shakily cutting glass in the studio. That sent me back to bed for another nap. At that point I called my mom and spent the rest of the time in bed, reading, chatting and feeling like it just had to be okay that I needed to be there, in the damn bed.

I would be there now but Bennett is sleeping there. I have been spending the nights in the back room because Bennett has a cold - and Pat is working is that room. 4000 square feet and no place to go. No, really, I am being melodramatic. I want to post. I want to post to a blog called "My Cancer Year." The premise being I tried having cancer for a year, then gave it up or adopted some parts of my experience into my life, but cut some of the harder bits out. Like this is voluntary - and at the end I get a fat book contract.

No such luck. This business has been going on for only about 2.5 months and I am already pretty sure what bits I would cut out. The cancer would go, for sure. The chemo right after that. I would keep the people at UMASS Memorial because they are so nice and attentive. I would also keep all of the reflexology and the ways people are super nice to me. I would also make sure not to keep the fatigue and all the millions of pills.

Oh, and the Ensure would have to go. My god, how gross is that stuff? I have been drinking two a day to up my calories. It tastes like a bad milkshake with a multivitamin crushed in there. I am very thin, at least for me. My smallest pants fall off me and I need to get a belt soon or the world will see the state of my sad sad huge underpants. Am I getting too personal?

Tomorrow is Monday. Pat will be home in the afternoon, so I don't have to worry about the long day with B on my own. We need someone to come live with us. Why, I ask, are all of my nieces and nephews so responsible and stable? If only there was one who needed a place to be for a few months, who would be willing to help out and just be part of this craziness? Any ideas?

I am going to pray for tomorrow to be filled with light, enough physical and mental strength to get me through the day, and a good appetite. Pray with me, will you?

6 comments:

  1. Nursing/pre-med students... maybe?
    My thoughts and good karma are always being sent your way... XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ruth, Your new hat is all finished and will be on it's way via Pat (at Snow Farm 'cause we don't have your home address). It will protect your soon to be shiny pate from the sun and season with all the love and healing energy I could put into it. It comes with distance hugs from Linda and Evan. Mmmm, now what to do with those darn underpants????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth- Glad to hear that your brain has recharged and is full of insightful, witty thoughts for your readers to enjoy. Maybe the brain and body need to trade off on being exhausted/blank through this experience-- give yourself a break and don't feel guilty or read too much into what it means to be a "lie-abed." I get that you don't want to be a "patient," though.

    I laughed out loud about the underpants, but don't worry, with your new short hairdo and the jeans falling off your butt, you fit right in with the boys of Holyoke. Now you just need to wear an oversized, pulled up hoodie and some earbuds, and slouch as you walk Zeus up Sargeant Street!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying with you and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth, I just found your blog today. I am not a computer geek...in fact I still have CD's and an old collection of 8tracks!! so, finding your blog at all is good for me. Your words are a gift to read. I will send light and good thoughts and healing thoughts your way every day. You are an an amazing worrier and have a beautiful daughter and wife. There love will be key in you winning this battle.
    I have plans to come north and help Pat and Snow Farm as much as possible with the seconds sale. If you and the family need I am very happy to come by and help with anything you may need. Thanks for sharing your underpant issues - you crack me up. Love , Karen Bouchard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your body, mind, household help, and underpants...

    ReplyDelete