Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hair Church Death

What to write about? I discovered that I no longer have hair on my legs, that's pretty weird. I noticed my arms a few weeks ago, but the legs are a new discovery. It makes me feel cold and pale. Maybe that's because I am pale and cold - we are getting some cold weather here. Today was one of those sunny late fall days that makes you think it's going to be warm out, but it wasn't.

Honestly, I only left the house to get to 8am church this morning. It was a really nice service on Christ the King Sunday. I don't know anything at all about the church calendar, but I am learning. This is the last Sunday before Advent. And I will find out what Advent is next week. I sometimes feel sad that I was raised without any religion at all. We had Christmas with Santa and Easter with the Bunny, but that was about it. I had some friends who went to church every week with their families, but it was such a foreign thing that when I went with them, it was like going to the theater. Now I sort of miss what I imagine is a comforting remembrance of an early experience with God. On the bright side, I get to have my experience now, which has been pretty good so far.

I have to say I didn't think I was going to post about God or church today. I thought I would post about my day - church, playing with Bennett, napping and being interrupted by Bennett and not really minding because she is so sweet. Once Pat found out that B was interrupting me, she put an end to it and I really got my nap. I am proud to day it was unaided by drugs. If you take 12 pills a day, is anything unaided by drugs? Good question.

I have been thinking about death a lot lately. Be warned, that is what I've been thinking about. It makes me want to run screaming down the middle of the road. I can actually understand why people commit themselves to psyche wards or go to spas. To get a break - or so it would seem that a person would get a break from themselves in those places, but I know it's not true. Which is why I am still roaming free and do not have a manicure. Julie says that I might consider truly accepting the idea of dying and then it just is one of many outcomes instead of just the latest obsessing. I thought I had accepted the idea of dying, and I am not afraid of being dead. I just can't wrap my mind around the actual dying part. The last breath part. And where is Bennett while this is happening? And how can it be that we brought this beautiful being into the world and she going to have to be one of those kids who has to carry the story of a mom who died when she was young. Will she feel like I abandoned her? Will she ever know how much I love her and how badly I wanted to have a child? I know Pat and her tribe of Aunties will help her know love and deep understanding, but I want to be with her and I want her to be with me. And how can that not be the way it's going to be?

I have no parting upbeat paragraph, I am sure a better person would. Mostly I feel like curling up and not leaving my bed. Luckily Pat won't let me do that. She is so good and I love her for it.

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and wishing I could make it all go away. It's all very scary and surreal or maybe too real. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the scan this week too. We're around this week if you need any help or company. BTW, I like your title: Hair-Church-Death. My tired brain was trying to parse it for the longest time.
    love,
    Beryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth-- these are hard, hard thoughts for any parent. Like Beryl, I wish I could make it all go away. Please remember these are just THOUGHTS at this point, though, and remind yourself that you are feeling some physical signs of tumor shrinkage and that is a good and hopeful thing!! Lots of prayers for the scan this week and the next round of chemo. We are hitting the road tomorrow and won't be back til Sunday, but you are always in my thoughts and prayers. Love and hugs- Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course B is going to be in your thoughts and dreams as you go thru this. I'm thinking 'clear scan, clear scan' It's likely B will want to be very close to you as she knows things are happening. Children are so perceptive. Think what this would be like without B or Pat; when you feel scared and at a loss, they and friends will hold your power and courage until you can take it back again. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete