Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Day of the Not-Dead

I say not-dead because I am not dead, and yet with the pall of death on me it is hard to feel alive. To feel alive in that shiny and bright way that I imagine I used to feel. Mostly now I am tired and all the things I do are tainted with this terrible loathing. I am planning on making another stained glass pieces, will it be one of the last pieces I make? Will I always look at it like that's the piece I made when I had cancer? This is more hopeful because I am still alive to think this.

Even before I was diagnosed, I didn't think of life as bright and shiny. I thought it wasl hard, so many things to do and keep up with and make and not screw up, but at least I didn't cry when I stroked Bennett's face while she slept. Like I did tonight. That balled up fear of losing my chance to raise her. It just about kills me to love her so much. And when I cry now, there is nothing to stop my tears, because I don't have any lower eyelashes. I knew something about my eyes felt different. It's all these things that add up to feeling not-dead, and somehow not alive.

From reading this, you'd think that I had a rotten day. But I didn't. I had a very nice day. Started by going to church and the sermon was about endings bringing new beginnings. It was lovely. I took care of B this morning while Pat braved Trader Joe's on a Sunday to make sure we were stocked up. I have the big chemo on Tuesday and if  I going to be down for a week, it's good to make sure we have enough yogurt and potato flakes. Liz came and took the fish tank (thank goodness, though it is so quiet in the living room now) and Aunt Ruth came to play with B while I took a nice 45 minute nap. So nothing happened that would really bring this on except I made a joke about worrying that the house would be messy after I die and Pat told me she would be really pissed if I die. That lead to a lot of crying and most likely how I feel now.

How can it be at the happiest time in my life, I get a cancer diagnosis? We are just building this beautiful life together and bam, f*ing bam, I have to explain why my hair looks so weird to Bennett. And trying to make being bald sound cool to a three year old is not that easy. I told her it was the big medicine that was helping my body, but making my hair fall out and that she was going to be able to see my whole head soon and wouldn't that be cool.

It's not even that really cool to me. Mostly it's just sad to have half a head of half-dead hair and have your kid use the word "squigelly" to describe it. I've never heard that word, but I could tell by the look on her face it was not a word she would use to describe something good like pudding or baby bunnies.

So there it is, my Sunday, my un-dead day. My alive day? I guess so.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Ruth,

    I get so screwed up sending these comments, that I'm not certain my comment of a moment ago actually reached you. So here goes again.


    I am grateful to have come to know you through your blog, and to see the truly amazing person that you are.

    I know that you will be facing a difficult week, but you have never ceased to amaze us with your strength and will to live. This week, I suspect will be no different...you will continue to amaze us all. And I will continue to hold you in my heart and wish that my thoughts will add to your remarkable strength and give you the energy boost to come easily through the week. My love to you and to B. and Pat.
    Linda K-M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Optimism must be difficult to impossible with the big whammy of chemo lurking around the corner. There's nothing like making you plumb the depths of pathos like a sermon, even a positive one, and I'm not even religious.

    We are all thinking about you and sending our light and good thoughts your way.

    Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, Thinking of you and sending you strength to work your way through chemo next week. Please know that we are all here sending our positive healing thoughts, love, hugs, light, and WBC's your way. Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth - you are the strongest, most vital un-dead women I know - I will be wishing for you to have a strong and vital week ahead,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. "How can it be at the happiest time in my life, I get a cancer diagnosis?" 'nough said.

    Except to say that I feel like you and Pat are helping Benette become a brave and wise young woman right now.

    ReplyDelete