Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Therapy, Therapy, Therapy

Today I decided that I don't find therapy to be that satisfying. I think it's because I find the other therapies so soul satisfying, that a non-touch, all-talk therapy session just seems like no relief at all. Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to have someone to talk to that knows about cancer and can give me some good tips, but what I need is relief. Stress, anxiety, whatever is all over my body and having acupuncture and Reiki and reflexology help so much with my mind and my body.

I had therapy today and actually left feeling more anxious than when I arrived. I told her and she suggested I choose to leave the anxiety with her in her office. I thought that seemed like a great idea. Maybe next time I will ask her if I can leave the cancer there as well.

I am getting ready to get ready for surgery. I am going to order some more of the ugly but extremely comfortable sleep hats. I have been reading a book on what to ask the surgeon and anesthesiologist. I am working out with house calls for after the surgery for Reiki, etc. I like to be prepared.

I am trying to remain as relaxed as possible. The mediation recordings really help. Hanging with Pat and Bennett help too. The one really great thing my therapist told me today was we all need to touch each other more. That physical contact can greatly relieve anxiety. I totally agree, but have to point out the irony that her chair is no less than 10 feet from the couch where I sit. And why are therapist couches always so low and cheap? I have never in all my many years of therapy had a good place to sit.

I will leave it at that. Tomorrow meeting with the Prepare for Surgery person. I will let you know how it goes. I took a look at the book and it's pretty interesting. As always, I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Ruth, Can you imagine what a therapist's offce wuld look like if everyone who entered for help left their "issues" there. I think it would look a lot like that hoarding show on TV. Floor to ceiling cancer, abusive parents, rotten children,morgages,"A" hole bosses, etc. It would be great to see them all beating each other up to...that would be cool. Then maybe they would be to busy to pick on the nice people in the world. Hmmmm. I don't know what to say about the bad couch.
    Hugs to Bennett and Pat, Light and love to you, Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, I am so glad you are getting these "alternative" therapies and they are helping so much. Talk therapy has its limitations, for sure, especially when you are dealing with something afflicting the body, mind, and soul. As for your other post about surgery, remember that you will be on painkillers to help you manage the pain. Also, it's great that Bennett is finding a way to process all this and good for you for honoring that. I like to think of B's imaginary grandma as an old Italian lady in the South End of Springfield, baking biscotti and sipping cappuccino!! I hope the meeting with the surgery person goes well today. Hugs-Sandy

    ReplyDelete