Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Feeling Good with Trepidation

That's the only way I can describe how I feel. I feel very good, almost normal but with the understanding that I will not have this luxury for very long. I am truly trying to savor every minute, and I am doing okay at that. But what did I just do? I went onto Wikipedia and read all about this drug Avastin that Dr. B is hot to use on me. Well, now I am not feeling normal, I am freaked out. This is a drug used to prolong life, not cure cancer. Okay, I have to remind myself that it is only one drug that we will be using, the other drugs are for curing, I suppose. Dr. B did say at our last meeting the his goal was not a cure but control. I thought that was shooting too low. Now I am sweating and my hands are tingling from fear.

I actually thought that if I read information about Avastin, I would feel better, reassured. What was I thinking? I never feel better or reassured by the Internet. I don't go on the Internet just for this very reason. I was feeling great and now I feel like I am going to die tomorrow and there is no hope. Nancy, the acupuncturist, says that I need to welcome my fear, take a step back from it and examine it. Was I afraid when I first started posting? No, I felt great. What did I do next? Went online and found out information that really has nothing to do with me. It's all just studies and stats that may or may not be relevant to me.

And I ask myself, what is wrong with a prolonged life? Isn't that what all these treatments are about?

Maybe I should just start over. I had a good day, I listened to my visualization tape and had an amazing session with Magic Maryann. I made sure she made house calls so she can come over while I am recuperating. I made calls to folks I haven't talked to in a while and generally took advantage of the good feelings.

Okay, I took some time off from this post to think. I did what Nancy taught me which is to identify the fear - the drugs would not work. Did I know this to be true. No. What is the turnaround? The drugs will work. This is what I believed until I read that stupid Wikipedia entry. I am no longer sweating and tingling. But I feel the echo of the fear.

2 comments:

  1. I think that doctor's do the best they can and make the best decisions with the information they have. The uncertainty seems the most difficult part of cancer. The will to live can be amazingly strong and you have that will. We can be certain that wanting to live makes the difference. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth,

    I know I have absolutely no right to boss you around, but I really want to right now. Here's my rule for you: NO MORE INTERNET RESEARCH! Well, ok, you can research warm slippers and soft yarn and new recipes for pickled green beans, but not cancer or cancer treatments. You know it makes you upset! Just say no to Internet research!!!!

    I'm glad you are doing well. Keep it up!! I'm looking forward to seeing you in that crazy hat at church on Sunday!

    Peace,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete