Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Modern Pharmaceuticals Are Good

I have a lot to post about today. First I would like to say that the trip home was great. I am not sure that I made that clear in my last post. Bennett was the first-class traveller that she is (in coach, of course), the food was good, the seats in the plane were the very last row (very wiggly and bumpy). We all made it home in time to eat the delicious pears, cheese and nuts that Ruth and Theo left for us. It was perfect. To bed for all of us before 7.

Yesterday I slept in late. I don't remember what time I was out of bed, but it was way too late. Probably something like 5pm England time. We had a nice mellow day, Ruth and Theo came over and Bennett's Christmas continued. I am worried she is going to thing that the tradition is to get presents over a 20 day period. And Liz and Julie are coming over tonight with more presents! Holy moly.

We took the tree down today. It was very dry. Bennett had a major cry over Spingey being put on the street. She thought it was cruel to put it outside, at least we should keep it in the basement.

And at that point the pain started. Something very bad in the right abdomen. I tried to just live with it, but when I actually started yelling out every once and awhile because I couldn't stop myself, I took myself to bed. Then I talked to Ruth, who asked me why I wasn't doing what Dr B would want me to do - take some pain meds. Excellent point. So I took a percocet and 20 minutes later was fine. I have used this pain as an excuse to curl up in bed with Bennett most of the day watching movies and snacking. I can still feel the pain, but I am not yelling anymore.

Today is my one-year anniversary of my surgery. I made it an entire year without going to the hospital - I guess that will be true in 5 days, because I was in the hospital for 5 days. And when I came home last year, we had a huge snow storm. This year, nothing except that crazy Halloween storm.

Anyway, one more thing. I got an itemized bill from UMASS Memorial for the chemo I had during the month of October. This was the first time they sent one - I am responsible for the copay which is $40. Anyway it cost $93,000 for one month of chemo. Before the drugs stopped working, I had about 30 treatments, 7 scans, surgery, etc, etc. I am totally blown away by this amount of money. It seems dirty and criminal in some way. One vial of Oxoliplatin is $16,000. Someone is making some big money on people who are really sick.

So really, I am so grateful the state of MA has insurance available to me. I will never again balk at paying my $91 a month premium. It's got to be the bargain of the century.

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 69:29
    But I am afflicted and in pain;
    May Your salvation, O God, set me securely on high.

    Dear God,
    Relieve Ruth's pain. Thank you for setting her securely in your arms of love. Give her strength to bear whatever comes her way.
    Amen

    I love you forever.
    Janna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some astronomical numbers. I (heart) the NHS.

    I hope that if your pain is too bad you're going to call the doctor as they might be able to do something about it rather than just give you pain killers.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete