Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Monday, July 11, 2011

Ik heb chemotherapie morgen

That is Dutch - the language of my people. Well, since Mary has been working on the genealogy of our family, some of our people - and not as many as I was lead to believe. It means I have chemotherapy tomorrow. I do. I am not really happy about it, but I have to know that it is what is keeping me alive and that is a good thing. A really good thing. Because I have a good life, and I want to keep it as long as I can.

Here are some of the good things that have happened in the past two days. We took Carly and Anna shopping at Target and Trader Joe's to get essentials and essential snack for their time at Snow Farm. Then we got to drop Carly and Anna off at Snow Farm for their big camp adventure. We gave them a tour, introduced them to come people, met some other same-sex couples dropping off their kids. They thought the C&A were our daughters, and I thought that was pretty cool. They are such wonderful young women and my sisters did such a good job, that I would be proud to be there mom. Anyway, that was fun. We also had Aunt Ruth over for dinner yesterday and tonight - Aunt Theo is away teaching at Snow Farm so Ruth's main meal-maker is away. And it is super fun for all of us to have Ruth here in the evenings.

Today we went to Brattleboro, VT so Pat could help her friend Sally get her piece together for a show at the Brattleboro Museum. While Pat and Sally were fiddling, I took Bennett to the bike shop (she got a new basket with flowers for her bike), to Sam's (she got some new shoes for the beach in CA), we stopped and had ice cream. It was fun. We were walking back to the Museum to see what Sally and Pat were up to and there was Pat coming toward us on the street. Bennett loved that surprise. Then B and I left Pat to help Sally and went back to Holyoke to spend the day with Avy and Sandy at the club.

That is the life I am talking about, the life full of good people, watching Bennett experience the world -including showing the sales lady her new shoes and telling her we are going to the beach in CA, cooking good food, and eating ice cream. It is all good and I want it all.

2 comments:

  1. I hope chemo went as well as it could.

    I didn't realise Theo was teaching at SF - everyone loves her I'm sure.

    No word from Anna & Carly except to say they're too tired/busy to communication. Success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ruth,
    Hope today (Wednesday) is going well for you, and for Pat and Bennett. I am at work (snore), thinking of you folks. I plan to explore my refrigerator today at lunchtime to see what I can bring over.
    I will like to hear more about the genealogy of your family that Mary is finding out.
    Rest well today, and I'm sending intangible but strong reassurances to Bennett about the pleasantness of her annual today.
    Lots of love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete