Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tomorrow Chemo

Yes, tomorrow is chemo. At this point I feel little like maybe it will happen and maybe it won't. Everything has been so unpredictable. I have no reason to believe that it won't happen, it's just that before my second chemo I had to wait an extra week, and before my originally scheduled third chemo I was in the hospital. So let's just hope that this goes off without a hitch - my WBC are okay, the drugs are in stock, and whatever else that I can't think of won't happen.

I had a really great day today. Took Bennett to school, walked the dog, even got into the studio for an hour. I designed the stained glass that will go over the door in the new bedroom. The thing about being in the studio, is I have to be present in order to make work - I mean really present. And that is hard, because I have to think about all the things I try not to think about all the live long day. So I worked for an hour and that is what I could do before I started getting afraid. Maybe Thursday I can do it for longer knowing that I survived today's hour just fine. The fear did not kill me and it never will.  It's just fear. Frickin', wily-assed fear that is my worst enemy- keeping me from my living the way I want to be in my life.

I also got my hair cut today. I had a great experience with Julie's fab hairdresser at Salon O in Easthampton. She made me cry by not letting me pay. Another example of the incredible generosity that comes to me.

I am not sure always how to take it, but I know everyone just wants to do what they can in a situation that is so disempowering. Is that a word?  How about a situation that scares the shit out of everyone? That's probably more accurate.

Today I heard a story from a friend about a guy who has colon cancer and it is also in his liver. He had surgery and had to have 1/5 of his liver removed. Lucky bastard, is all I could think. Of course I don't know the whole story, and of course I am also very lucky, but it's that same thing that makes me jealous of people who seem to be less full of cancer than I am. I have to remind myself that cancer sucks for everyone who gets it. Period. And that kind of thinking helps no one, and doesn't change a single thing. Not my cancer, not his cancer, not the absence cancer in the other people's bodies.

Okay, so let me keep my eye on the most accessible prize - tomorrow's chemo. I want my little pump back, whispering it's hard work to me for 46 hours, reminding me that we are all working hard to save my life one whoosh at a time.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you got that hour in the studio, even if the fear-- which is justified--snuck up on you. You are doing a great job of staring down that fear everyday. Hoping all goes well with chemo. I am planning to make that sweet potato chowder sometime over the next few days. not sure if you can eat it, but I can send some by if you want. I miss you and will be thinking of you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dis-em-pow-er, tr.v: to deprive of power or influence
    (see also 'to scares the shit out of').

    Actually, I have to say, the last line of your post tonight is stunningly beautiful poetry, the kind that catches in your chest. Hope the same kind of honest, fearless, startling creativity finds its way into the studio with you.

    Hoping, praying, sending lots of healing whooshes for the chemo tomorrow! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe instead of being disempowered by peopls's acts of kindness, you should consider them concrete acts of positive energy?

    Like the haircut.

    Will ring you tonight when I get home, so take I-Paddy so that we can play Scrabble if you're not too out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The haircut looks great. We are sending all our positive thoughts your way.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete