Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Monday, September 27, 2010

Mary's Last Day Here

Well, yesterday was not a good day. Another day of stabbing belly pain and vomiting. I spent most of the day in bed trying to feel better. It finally happened in the middle of the night and I was able to get some sleep. What misery. Chemo is not for wimps and I think of myself as super pain tolerant. I guess I am not as pain tolerant as I thought. I can't do anything while I have that pain. And I just don't know how to make it different except to stick to liquids only. It's hard to get enough calories with liquids, but I am going to have to do it.

I feel a million times better today. A little weak, but after a thorough Scrabble butt-kicking by Mary, I feel human. It is Mary's last few hours here and I am going to miss her so much. I don't know how we would have gotten through me in the hospital without her here. Never mind all the cleaning and shopping she did for us. I want her to take me with her. It's that old strong feeling that if I leave none of what is happening will be true. But then I remember, wherever I go, there I am. And where I am, so is the cancer and the sometime pain and the fear and all the good things too. Coming off of yesterday, it's hard to remember the good because I am so worried that the pain will come back.

I am going to ask my doc if there is such a thing as a pain medication that I can put under my tongue. That way when I am vomiting I can get some pain relief. This is the second time this has happened and both times it was impossible to keep anything down - even the stuff that's supposed to help.

Bennett is snuggled on the couch, Mary getting ready to go and I am posting. Mary said I needed to make sure that everyone knew that I was feeling better. So now you know that I was feeling terrible and am better. The rain and cool air make it hard to want to do much. That and I feel pretty weak. I keep wondering how I could better prepare for what is happening? How do people get through this? This must be what everyone meant when they say chemo is really hard. But, I must remember to be grateful that I am not suffering as some have. When I had my first round of chemo, they gave me a list if symptoms that mean I need to get to the ER or call the doctors. They are very brutal - vomiting for more that 72 hours, etc. The listing of a fever of 100.4 or more is what took me to the hospital last week. I haven't had anything else on the list and that is something to be very grateful for.

Sometimes I feel pretty lonely. And I am sure that when Mary leaves today, I will feel it something fierce. Another thing to get through and survive. That's the name of this game - isn't it? Surviving. I am looking forward to a time when the name of the game changes from surviving to thriving.

3 comments:

  1. Funny, after your posts of the past week, I'm already missing Mary, too!

    BTW, your pain tolerance and strength are strongly evident in your willingness to be so very honest about yourself and your feelings in this blog. Your honest assessment of what you feel about Mary going is so right on and deep: "I want her to take me with her. It's that old strong feeling that if I leave none of what is happening will be true."

    I want to be as wise as you when I grow up.

    Praying for a lot of WBC's for Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Mary being with you, too! She called from the airport on her way home and told me about Facebook Scrabble. What about a sisters' match across 8 time zones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words bring tears. Thanks for being such a beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete