Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Monday, August 16, 2010

You Got the C-A-N Right

This from my friend Julie after telling her that I had been thinking about starting a blog about CANning. But you get cancer instead. With maybe a little canning here and there. My sister Mary who lives in England and I used to email and call each other all the time about canning, but now we talk about, well, not canning.

I do vow to can two more things this year - hot peppers and pickled carrots. Let me assure you all that I started the year with lots of preserving. Two kinds of pickled ramps (wild leeks), rhubarb jam and relish, blueberry and raspberry jam, pickle relish and pickled green garlic. I wonder if wondering if I will be here next year to eat the pickles makes me not want to make them. I call those gallows thoughts. Of course I will be here, of course I will be eating and of course I will want to have toast with jam with Bennett. It's just the fear talking.

Fear is so sneaky and mean. I suggest avoiding it whenever possible.

As I write, there is a huge summer storm. The sky black, streaks of light and booming. Bennett calmly reading a book and Theo in the half-finished bedroom looking at what we need so she can magically do all the trim for us. Today she is my hero- willing to just do it all and be patient with me when I don't know what I want. I know what she does will be gorgeous.

Later tonight I will post photos from our aquarium trip.

2 comments:

  1. Can this be a cancer blog with recipes?

    Together we will work to avoid being scared. And if we need to be scared, we'll be scared together.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAN... there are a lot of ways you can use that word, as in CANning, CANcer, I CAN, or CAN IT! when the scary thoughts come around. I'm going to be thinking about you a lot tomorrow. I know you CAN withstand anything my "CANning Warrior" Ruth!

    LOVE the aquarium pictures of Bennett!

    ReplyDelete