Fighting this beast like a warrior

Fighting this beast like a warrior

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Sunday Before the Monday

It's Sunday night and that probably seems like no big deal.  For me it's a hard time.  Tomorrow Pat goes to work and I have the whole day with Bennett.  What a joy to be with her - just the two of us, that's true.  The only thing is that eight hours with a three year old doesn't take up a lot of mental space.  So my mind wanders, wanders to places I don't want to go.

One might say, stay in the moment, it's still Sunday.  One might also say shut the hell up, this is about as scary as it gets. 

I have a nice long list of things to do and hope that I have the energy and the gumption to do them.  We are trying to get the second bedroom done before the end of the week - that mean finishing the walls, trim, painting and getting the floor installed.  And I had to send an email to my most favorite electrician to tell him I have cancer and need him to make the power live this week.  This is all so I can have a place to go if my three different anti-nausea meds and three different anti-diarrhealmeds don't work.

Who knew?  Who knew that clearing out the medicine cabinet for actual medications would need to happen?  Where are we going to keep the Q-tips?

I had this idea that I would want to write all the gory details about the procedures I had (note: first post), but now I don't want to.  If you want to know what something is like, ask and I will write about it.

I will say that going to the Mystic Aquarium yesterday was a blast.  I felt old old old because I am not my robust self, but seeing those seals really reminded me of the sheer power of nature and fun. 

I will end this post on a good note. The PET scan did not reveal anything that we didn't know about.  This is very very good news.  I was super afraid the cancer was also in my lungs - and it's NOT!  So a super big YAY and thank you God for that one.  And for everything.  I can feel like light a little better now.  Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Ruth -- I just want to do a little dance again over your PET scan results. And...do you want to have lunch together tomorrow? (See, through this blog I see your secret desires.?.?.?.) Well, I'll give a call in the am to see what suits. Sweet dreams to you and Pat and Bennett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth-- so HAPPY and relieved to hear about those PET scan results. That is VERY good news. Sending all good thoughts, prayers, wishes, everything I can muster for your first day of chemo tomorrow. and we look forward to seeing you later this week, if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth - you're surrounded by an amazing group of friends. You are really blessed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gory details? Sure whatever or not. But I'm loving the ones you are sharing: the "who knews," and the "one might says," and the weaknesses during eight hours with a three year old and the power of a Saturday with the seals.

    ReplyDelete